Let’s celebrate Christmas in July!
Yep, I said it.
I know, I know, the idea of Christmas right now is making your eyes twitch, your nose crinkle, and your heart start pounding…fast!
I’m sorry…well, um, okay, not really.
You see, I’m a Christmas Baby, and for me, eleven months is a really looooong time to have to wait not only for Christmas, but for my birthday. Every year I have spend from January to December watching others celebrate their birthdays during the year while I must wait
an eternity 359 days to celebrate both significant events on my calendar. Now, this is not the end of the world nor is it something I spend an exorbitant amount of time complaining about. I’ve been on this earth enough years to tell you that I LOVE having my birthday on during the Christmas season for a variety of reasons that most take for granted, like the fact that the entire world is lit up in beautiful colors, everyone is sharing in the cheerfulness of the season, and most importantly, I get to celebrate along with my Jesus!
But, it’s a blistering 100 degree in Texas, so I thought it might be fun to gather up a variety of jolly good ideas and share a list of ways you and I can not only have some fun, but also remember even now, mid-way through the year, what the reason for our season is (Jesus, of course!). I hope you love all these silly activities, creative crafts, and gift giftings that celebrate Christmas in July!
Are you ready? Fa-La-La-La-La, let’s go.
- Make a summer Christmas ornament, like a felt pineapple, a decorated pinecone, or a ribbon wrapped cookie cutter
- Play your favorite Christmas music and have a family dance party
- Host a White Elephant Gift Exchange with your relatives, your church life group, or your neighbors
- Walk around wearing a Santa hat, elf ears, reindeer antlers, or a blinking Christmas light necklace
- Bake and decorate a batch of Christmas sugar cookies
- Read one of your favorite Christmas books together each night
- Have a family Christmas card design contest
- Make Christmas garland (popcorn, construction paper, or other)
- Have a photo shoot and take a fun family picture to use in December
- Turn down the AC real low and drink hot cocoa while wearing your warm winter pajamas
- Go on a Christmas themed photo scavenger hunt
- Host a Christmas movie marathon in your backyard
- Make a paper plate Santa door tag and hang one on each of your neighbor’s door
- Wear all red, all green, or mix & match red & green
- Donate a new toy from each member of your family to a shelter or local charity
- Enjoy a peppermint stick or a candy cane
- Play a game of Christmas Carol Pictionary
- Snail mail a mid-year family update letter to your family and friends (this helps collect addresses for December too!)
- Fill a Christmas stocking with small goodies for each member of the family and have a stocking swap night
- Host a Christmas Cookie Exchange Party
- Deliver holiday treats individually wrapped to a local senior center
- Have each family member make a wish list for 1 item they want, need, wear, read right now to compare with one in December
- Have a summer snowball fight (white balloons + water+hot weather=fun)
- Fill the house with holiday scents via a holiday candle, fragrant potpourri, or essential oils
- Read the Christmas story together
These are just a few ideas to help you celebrate Christmas in July! The best way to see some of these ideas up close is to visit our Pinterest album full of links and samples.
Stay cool and have a great week.
And, Merry Christmas…in July!